Thursday, June 17

What is the Gospel Really About???

Talking with a friend the other day caused me to re-evaluate some of the "Biblical" truths that I had been taught since I was a youngster (not that I'm not young now!!).
One of these "truths," is that the Gospel is about the life death and resurrection of Jesus and his taking the sin of the proverbial world on his perfectly sinless shoulders, and the rest of the New Testament focuses around that.
let me offer you another explanation of what the Gospel is all about. The gospel is actually all about the revelation of God's character to us. It's about his unending eternal infinite love his amazing grace, his tender mercy, his passionate compassion. The gospel is about God.
Now don't think for a second that I am attempting to diminish the meaning, significance or the necessity of the Cross and the empty grave that held (temporarily) a sinless, faultless man, because these are the cornerstones of the Christian faith and I believe in them with all of my heart. But these are a means to an end. The Cross and the 'salvation story,' are tools that God uses to communicate just HOW MUCH he actually loves us.
"For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16

God's love is what the Gospel is about, so let's stop focusing only on the Death and Resurrection of Jesus, and get back to focusing on the God behind it.

No comments: